Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What is new from my art table.....

Even in the course of being "sick" my creativity never leaves my mind. If only I can jot down all the ideas that cross my mind while I am doing dishes, or in the shower, or when I am cooking. Sometimes it drives me crazy that I have all these "floating" ideas but I need the materials or the energy and motivation to create without being frustrated.

So one day in the midst of a fever bout I sat in front of my beading table and just stared at all the mismatched beads and just looking for anything to do something with and did not know what. I started with just wire wrapping some of the beads then started incorporating some copper washers and chain. And before I new it I was well on the way of creating a necklace.

I have been dying to work with my glass. But until our garage is safe enough and temperature controlled I cannot really work in there yet. And Bo has not set up his torch yet. So I have been looking through beads Bo has made sitting around and started playing with silver and copper again. It feels good to actually be holding a finished piece mostly when you don't feel well and you feel like you have at least accomplished something.

So here is the turquoise and copper necklace I made. The two topaz glass beads and the elemental cone bead with black and blue and cream are Bo's creations from a while back.






As I got to feeling better I went ahead and played with silver and copper wire wrapping and using liver of sulfur to patina the copper I was working with and decided to make some fun earrings. On one pair I used the torch to color the copper before working with it.

Here are the first ones I made.

Sterling silver earrings with precious stones.



Copper earrings with sterling silver and Swarovski crystal pearls.



These are the earrings I have managed to make.













I always notice, even if I love vibrant bright colors, whenever I am working on jewelry I tend to always move towards the more earthy colors that remind me of nature. The copper looks like the clay in my yard right now and the pearls and the semi precious stones reminds me of grass and flowers. :)

I am trying to put more into my inventory again. Hoping to put it back on Etsy or to start my own site. I still have glass pendants and earrings and it has been tedious to try to take pictures of all of it but I know at some point I will have to. I also have some bracelets left over from the bazaar but I am patiently waiting for Bo to also get his little area in the garage up and running so I finally have his glass beads to work with again. :)

I hope you enjoyed my new pieces. I have my follow up appointment tomorrow with the ENT doctor. I am not really looking forward to it. I just feel more confused and frustrated every time I leave an appointment plus I am not looking forward to being poked by needles again. :( Thankfully it is a scheduled day off for Bo so he will be with me at least.

Hope you had a great Tuesday! :)

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

love these.. such an earthy, bohemian look...the necklace is very unique...
can't wait to see a few on your etsy site

Kristin Summerlin said...

Lovely work, Abby. I just now caught up with you a little... read your last three posts. So sorry to hear you've been ill.

Please, if you don't get answers from the ENT, ask them to refer you to a rheumatologist. Some of what you describe reminds me of things I went through when my autoimmune disorder really started to kick in. I hope that's not what's going on, but it's better to know and start treatment ASAP.

I love Kentucky almost as much as I love Tennessee, and I'm so jealous of you right now. Wish we could live there part time and here part time. ;)

You know you can call me if you ever need to talk. I'd love to hear from you.