Thursday, March 26, 2009

Metalsmithing





Fall of 2008 I had the opportunity to take a Begining Metalsmithing class at Univeristy of Alaska Fairbanks. My professor was Jack Finch who was not only awesome teacher but also was a great photographer of the Aurora Borealis. He inspired me to take my glass to a different level by incorporating metals.

I thoroughly enjoyed his class and was excited to be picked for the UAF Art Show. Both the pieces I turned in made it and it was nice to see my creations sitting in a glass case to be seen by others.

Here is my little show and tell of my metalsmithing projects.

Leaf Imprint Pendants




Dragonfly Wings Necklace






Necklaces











Earrings






Rings





My husband's new wedding ring made with sterling silver that is hammered and mokume.




Shell ring...it is casted seashell in sterling silver, sterling silver band and hematite in the middle.


Cuffs





Our last project was to make a container. So I made one out of copper and silver and casted real shells in sterling silver to make the decorations on my container. The pictures do not do this piece any justice. The copper was torched until the right coloration from the heat of the flame took its shape.

Casted Shells


My shell container.





The two pieces that made the Art Show.

"Ancient Meandering"


"Longing for the Sea"


2008 University of Alaska Fairbanks Student Art Show








Other pieces at the show from very gifted artists.










I am very grateful for the opportunity not only to learn a new skill and medium in my art. Happy also to be taught by the best professors and classmates that push me to do better on my creations and taught me that my imagination has no limits.

1 comment:

Kristin Summerlin said...

Congratulations, Abby! These are really wonderful, and I'm glad you updated your blog and put the pix up. Wish I'd know and could have seen the show.