Monday, February 21, 2011

Inspiration through colors


Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world.
~Hans Margolius~


Days are passing and at times you just have to stop and take it all in. I had one of those moments the other day. In the midst of running errands I took the time to see my surroundings in a different light. There is a realization that comes with solitude that despite how busy, chaotic, or fast life can become, you can still stop and choose that moment to slow it down for at least second and take it all in. These moments keep me grounded and gives me the opportunity to weed out the negative and be thankful for the beauty around me.

My walk through Glendale, KY 2011.









Valentines came and went. Usually we do not celebrate it since we try to do that every day. :) But this year it meant something more and I was not only surprised but my heart melted when I received flowers from Bo. They were a beautiful mix of Lillis and Roses.





The fragrance it put in my home and the visual impact keeps my heart soaring and patiently waiting for his return.

In other happenings, I have been diligently working on my painting assignments. I a a bit behind right now because I week has just not been enough time for me to "finish" a piece. But the great thing about this online class is we can work in our own pace and then choose to share it or not but actively still be a part of discussions and support for each other.



Our second painting assignment was to take an artist that inspires us and create a painting that incorporates some of their techniques but in our own voice and subject. The artist that inspires me so much right now is Flora Bowley. Her vibrant abstract paintings takes on an emotion of its own and I hope to one day be able to use color to convey how I feel on canvas. For now I am a beginner and shy actually to share my work but you know I guess at one point I will have to put it out there and keep my inner critic quiet so that I can continue to learn and explore.

My second painting started off in a disaster, I put that canvas to the side and started fresh and so far this is my progression. It is not finished yet but soon to be. :)











Here are other paintings I am working on that will end up being a triptych in out living room.







Throughout the class and exploration, I am learning that I do love color more than I realized and I love vibrant and bright colors. I already saw that when we painted the rooms of our house but now it comes out more in my artwork. It has become a nice bright spot in my day to paint as the Kentucky weather still is grim and dreary. I know though spring will come soon and our environment will once again be bright and cheery and full of color. :)



The whole world, as we experience it visually, comes to us through the mystic realm of color.
~Hans Hofmann~

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! U have kept yourself busy!. wow...So sweet that Bo sent flowers to you... and I know it brought a few tears... I know u are anxious to have him home...

Abigail's Creative Journey said...

Thank you! Yes trying to stay busy not only with the boys but for myself with the things I love so that these months go by faster. :) Yes the flowers made me tear up plus he wrote me an email too. :) The name of the bouquet was Everlasting Romance. :)I know hopefully by June we should hear on when he can come home I just really want him back already. This is too long to be apart and I know he feels the same and feels like he is watching his kids grow through pictures and he doesn't like it one bit. :(